The Path Forward Starts Here Schedule a Consultation

Immigration Law Attorney in Hamilton, Ohio

The immigration process can be long and tedious if you don't know what to expect. I’ve been practicing law since 1996, giving me the extensive experience necessary to help you navigate complex immigration matters. When your future is at stake, allow me to provide the guidance you deserve.

My firm, Brandabur Law LLC, proudly serves the needs of Ohioans in Hamilton, Oxford, Fairfield, Mason, and Cincinnati. If you’re interested in learning more about family-based or employment-based immigration, schedule a consultation with me today. I also represent those dealing with immigration appeals or fighting back against deportation orders.

Family-Based Immigration

Family-based immigration entails exactly what its name suggests—a foreign individual is granted residency or citizenship in the U.S. based on a familial relationship. If you’re a current U.S. citizen or permanent resident, or you’re a non-U.S. citizen with a connection to a current citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible for family-based immigration.

This process requires the participation of two parties:

  • A petitioner: a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident who is willing to sponsor a foreign family member for a green card

  • A beneficiary: a foreign family member who is seeking a green card

The term “family member” can have many meanings. There are two categories of family members recognized by the U.S. government: immediate relatives and family preference relatives.

Immediate Relatives

An immediate relative is a(n):

  • Spouse of a U.S. citizen

  • Parent of a U.S. citizen

  • Unmarried child of a U.S. citizen (under 21)

For those whose relationship does not meet the above criteria, there is the family preference category.

Family Preference Relatives

This category encompasses all other qualified relationships, including:

  • Unmarried adult children of U.S. citizens (over 21)

  • Spouses and unmarried children of lawful permanent residents

  • Unmarried adult children of lawful permanent residents (over 21)

  • Married children of U.S. citizens

  • Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens

Other Relationships

In addition to immediate relatives and family preference relatives, there are other relationships that may qualify you for a green card, such as being a fiancé of a U.S. citizen, a widower of a U.S. citizen, or a victim of battery or extreme cruelty by a U.S. citizen.

After you determine your eligibility using the categories above, you can apply for a family-based green card. Working with an experienced immigration attorney is the best way to set yourself up for success as you navigate this process. Reach out to me at Brandabur Law LLC in Hamilton, Ohio to get started.

Don’t Navigate Immigration Alone

See How I Can Help

Family-Based Green Card Applications

To begin the process of applying for the family-based green card, the petitioner will make a request to the U.S. government to allow the foreign family member to immigrate. This involves the completion of Form I-130, which will establish the relationship between the petitioner and the beneficiary and ask that a visa be set aside for the family member.

The availability of a visa is dependent upon the relationship in question. Immediate relatives will always have access to an immigrant visa, whereas those who fall under the family preference category may have to wait for one to be available.

When the petitioner’s request is approved, the beneficiary can apply for a green card. If the family member is applying from outside the United States, he or she will need to submit the application through a U.S. embassy or consulate. If the family member is physically present in the United States, he or she may be able to seek an adjustment of status.

At Brandabur Law LLC, I aim to simplify the family-based immigration process for all parties involved. Your family deserves the chance to be together. With me by your side, we can strive to get you through this and hope to reunite you with your loved ones.

How Else Can I Assist You?

In addition to family-based immigration, I assist with employment-based immigration cases. If you are a worker looking to permanently move to the United States, schedule a consultation with me today to start the process.

I also provide skilled representation for individuals facing deportation orders or filing immigration appeals. My goal is to advocate for your best interests and fight for your right to immigrate to this country. Let me put my experience, passion, and in-depth knowledge of the law to work for you.

At Brandabur Law LLC in Hamilton, Ohio, I represent individuals and families throughout the area, including Oxford, Fairfield, Mason, and Cincinnati.

Immigration Attorney in Hamilton, Ohio

If you’re looking to become a U.S. citizen, let’s discuss your options. I assist individuals through the family-based and employment-based immigration processes, as well as those facing deportation orders or immigration appeals. To learn more about how I can help you, talk to me in Hamilton, Ohio today.